Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Top 8 80's Week...oh no....

First, let me say, I was 5 when the 80's ended. I started kindergarten in 1989 at Whittier Elementary School in Hemet, CA. My teacher was Mrs. Martin. She was great. I know nothing about 80's music except that it involves many keyboards and large hair.

In the package about Heejun departing, Jessica Sanchez says, "It's down to the best of the best." I added, "and DeAndre." I really don't like that dude.

Ryan Seacrest shows a picture of a young Randy Yo Dawg in the 1980s and then claims that Randy has changed since then. Judging by Randy's shirt, I don't think that's true.

Gwen Stefani and Gwen Stefani's male Indian counterpart who claims to be the bassist for "No Doubt" are mentoring this week. Really? You couldn't find someone who actually performed in the 80's to mentor them?

DeAndre misses his car. With any luck, he'll be able to drive his lame hair home soon. He is singing "I Like It." Gwen says DeAndre always looks nervous. And she says even if it's horrible, he should act like it's great. He does that anyway. Jimmy says if he gets nervous, he'll fail. He is sitting with the audience. I'm counting hair flips. 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. 8. That is 8 too many hair flips...there was another one. 9. Nine too many. I do enjoy that song, but I do not enjoy DeAndre. Jenny from the Block: "I like it. I like it a lot. I'm very clever and everyone should respect me as someone who knows how to give constructive and useful criticism and advice." Steven Tyler: "I forgot where I was, I thought I was somewhere where munchkins don't sing, but evidently that crack I smoked in my dressing room has already kicked in, because I would have sworn I heard an oompa loompa just now." Randy Yo Dawg: "I enjoy Easter, because look at my shirt, it has eggs on it. El Debarge from El Debarge would love that. Be natural." Namedrop: 1 DeAndre says critique is a double edged sword. Paul wishes he had one of those, because he would fall on it.

Elise misses her band. She is singing "I Wanna Know What Love Is." Turns out, I know these songs. Looks like KOST 103 FM has done it's job. This was kind of an anti-climactic song. It was good, but it was a little lackluster. Steven Tyler: "I love your voice, but it wasn't the right song for you. 80's songs are 80's songs. So yeah." Jenny from the Block: "You look beautiful, you're look is developing. It wasn't totally right, every single moment, and that's what it was." Randy Yo Dawg: "It's a tough song to sing, it's one of my favorite songs ever. You never quite hit the pitch, it was not your greatest performance." Elise couldn't decide between all the wonderful 80's songs. Right.

There are duets this week. Why is this happening to us??

Colton and Skylar are the first duet. They are singing "Islands in the Stream." Skylar is mopping the floor with Colton. But I don't hate Colton as much as I usually do. Randy Yo Dawg: "That was interesting for Colton. It was very sweet and very nice there are alot of lyrics and melody in there. Which is weird for me because I usually love songs with no lyrics and no melody." Jenny from the Block: "Skylar I love that you don't oversing. Colton you made me uncomfortable but you were the perfect partner for her." Steven Tyler: "Match made in heaven."

Colton and Skylar are NOT dating. They are NOT. Stop ASKing.

Jason DeRulo can't write his own song so he wants me to do it. Nope.

Phillip misses his brother-in-law. That's sweet. He's going to sing "That's All" by Genesis. Indian Gwen told him to change some stuff and he did. Phillip is seriously killin' this. His brother-in-law played with him! That's amazing. Steven Tyler: "You love being you and it transcends and I'm high." Jenny from the Block: "The beginning was a little off but then it wasn't and I don't have anything to say." Randy Yo Dawg: "I could sense your comfort. I loved it. Tony Canal was brilliant." Namedrop: 2

Hollie and DeAndre are singing. Hollie thought she needed to dress thematically this evening. They're singing "I'm so Excited." My cousin-in-law (yes that's a thing) can do this Just Dance routine really well. This was just weird and lame. Steven loved it. Jenny from the Block was confused by it and apparently NappyTabs was involved in that. She also says DeAndre is right at home singing a girl song. Randy Yo Dawg finds them impressive.

Steven Tyler reminds us that he was high for most of the 80's. Jenny from the Block says DeAndre is standing out. There have also only been 3 performances. Randy Yo Dawg says the contestants have to sing the "I don't know what" outta whatevah. It would probably help the contestants if you told them what to sing outta whatevah.

Joshua Ledet is missing being a spoiled brat, apparently. That's what he said, people. He's singing "If You Don't Know Me By Now." It's concerning that I know all of these 80's songs. Those runs where he goes up and then way back down are to. die. for. The judges are up. Jenny from the Block: "Ask and ye shall receive, we asked for powerhouse and that's what we got. It was so beautiful. It was spectacular." Steven Tyler: "How can someone sing like you your age, what a perfect beautiful song. You sat in it. It wasn't over the top and it was way over the top. It was higher than I was in the 80's." Randy Yo Dawg: "It's very rare that I want to stand up from beginning to end. I don't care what the song is, but you sang it, dude. I think we found someone tonight who's gotta have it." Apparently, Randy Yo Dawg is not saying anyone is in it to win it this season. Joshua Ledet is emotionally drained from working 7 days a week. Dude. You're on a singing competition. I don't know if that qualifies as work.

Jessica Sanchez is missing being a normal teenager. She's singing a Whitney Houston song which I have never heard. HA! There is a keytar player. And she says she is BeBe Chez. Her new name? Bebica was told by Gwen not to do weird moves. Bebica did not listen. She too thought she needed to dress thematically with the neon shirt, the side pony, the weird denim jacket and the crazy big jewelry. Jenny from the Block: "Your choices are natural you're not a girl, not yet a woman." Steven Tyler: "Your voice is fantastic, everything you do is great." Randy Yo Dawg: "A song by Whitney Houston, those are big shoes to fill. The maturity in you is amazing." Namedrop: 3

Next duet is Phillip and Elise. So this will be amazing. They are singing "Stop Dragging my Heart around." And it's awesome.

Hollie misses her family and friends and her puppy. Hollie is singing "What A Feeling" from Flashdance. She is very into soundtrack songs. Technical difficulty. And we're on. If she starts dancing I'm going to LOL. She changed her clothes. LOL! SHE TOTALLY DANCED!!! This song is really lame. Am I wrong? No. No I am not. I do not feel Hollie. I don't know what it is. I just don't feel it. I don't think she feels it either. Steven Tyler: "You always arrive at the end, your pitch was all over the place, I'm so sorry to tell you." Jenny from the Block: "You're doing what everyone tells you to do. You have to forget what everyone is telling you to do. You need to pay attention to what everyone tells you to do and then forget about it." Randy Yo Dawg: "Both of them are correct, you have the talent, that's why we say things to you. Stop thinking, dang it!"

The last duet is Bebica and Joshua singing "I Knew You were Waiting for Me." Seriously and for real, that was in.cred.i.ble. I don't even care what the judges think. Randy Yo Dawg: "Aretha Franklin and George Michael." Name drop: 5 Jenny from the Block: "Final? Maybe?" Steven Tyler: "So over the top it defies judging."

Colton misses his hair gel. No he doesn't. He misses painting children's faces. What? He gets weirder and weirder. He is going to sing "Time after Time." I feel like I'm going to love this. Which bothers me. Ok I don't love it. I just kind of like it. His voice is just not that great, people. It's really not. It has a tendency to get nasally and screechy. Steven Tyler: "You could do a record right now. The drummer is awesome." Jenny from the Block: "I love the journey that one song can take you on. I really liked it." Randy Yo Dawg: "Yo. What you did tonight, Phillip Phillips, and Joshua, you made the song your own. The drummer is ridiculous."

Skylar misses everything. She is singing "Wind Beneath My Wings." I'm excited. This is the moment she becomes a contender. Yep. She just nailed that. I KNEW she'd turn it around. Randy Yo Dawg: "Wow, Skylar, Wow, Wow. It was beautiful. I think this is your best performance on the show." Jenny from the Block: "You just said, do not count me out." Steven Tyler: "That's the best song you could've picked for your voice and the end of the night." I still think Skylar could potentially win this thing.

So here's the situation

Favorites:
Phillip
Joshua
Skylar

Bottom Three SHOULD be:
Hollie
DeAndre
Jessica or Elise

Going home: hopefully DeAndre, but possibly Hollie

No comments:

Post a Comment