Sunday, September 11, 2011

The Day I Have Been Waiting For

Is finally here. Well, almost.

The X-Factor starts on September 21, officially. So what, you may ask?

So what, indeed. The X-Factor means the return of Simon Cowell to the Throne of Judgehood with his Queen Paula Abdul reigning beside him. Also joining the royal judges are Nicole Scherzinger and a skinny version of Randy Jackson. I'll update when I figure out his name. At first glance, I am frightened that Nicole Scherzinger may turn out to be Kahra-esque, but I guess I'll give her a chance. It's a singing competition (like American Idol), but it has judges who have discernment (unlike American Idol). Also of note, the contestants fall into categories. There are young singers (12-something), old lady singers (25-whatever age you want), old man singers (25-whatever age you want) and groups. I think those are the categories. I reserve the right to correct myself.

So, how do I know all of this wonderful information if the show does not officially start until September 21, you may ask? There are two answers to this. 1) I've been obsessively watching the previews for this show/soaking up information about it since I initially heard about it. 2) There's an 8 minute preview happening on my T.V. right now. I knew there was a reason to watch football tonight! It certainly wasn't to see the Cowboys win...but I digress.

A few other noted differences between this show and thatothershowIwastedtimeon (who WON that show anyway?)
1) The initial auditions take place in front of an audience. On the other show, the auditions happen in front of the judges only.
2) The category thing of course.
3) Pepsi sponsors this show. Coke sponsors the other one.
4) Paula appears to have not imbibed/inhaled.
5) Ryan Seacrest is not here to flirt with Simon Cowell.
6) According to one talking head on TV, auditioners may range in age from 12-200. So, sorry super old person that just turned 201, you're out.

And here we go.

Up first: Rachel is 13. This is the most important thing she has ever done in her whole life. She proves this with emphatic hand gestures. She is actually very adorable. Holy goodness, the prize is $5M. Simon wants to know what she'll do with the money. She says, "Ok, my family has, like, NO money." You and the rest of us trapped in the Obamony, sweetheart. She lives in a 2 bedroom house with 6 people in her family. She needs her own bathroom. She sings "Mercy." Paula is freakin' out. She's really good, and really cute. Randy Jackson 2.0 likes her, Simon likes her, Paula likes her, and Nicole is not asked for an opinion. I like.

Stacy is 42. She does not look 42. She is a single Mom. She had a mean boyfriend. She's singing "You Make Me Feel Like a Natural Woman." It's really good. She looks like Diana Ross. I keep saying people are good. I don't know if it's because I've been inundated by mediocre talent since the last 3-4 weeks of AI or if they're actually good. Simon tells her it's the best audition she's heard in his whole life. No one else talks. Stacy starts crying. Me: "Girl, you need to get you some waterproof mascara. That's not cute." She's in. Huh, what exactly does "in" mean? I mean where do they go from this point? I guess we'll find out. Uh, her kids look young for her being 42. Something is strange with this one.

Oh. I guess it wasn't 8 minutes. But it was enough. The verdict is that X Factor > American Idol. And yes, it took me approximately 3 minutes to determine this.

Until September 21.

No comments:

Post a Comment